Sunday, October 4, 2009

It's a New Day...

... let's see how long I last!!  ::grin::  I worked as the dresser yesterday for three hours; helping the musicians/actors change their costumes, telling them what I thought looked best, and repairing/modifying costumes so they'd work during the three Acts (although a few of them had changes during the Acts).  Wheeee!  Of course, it was also rather exhausting; no matter how much I enjoy it.  ::sigh::

But I am determined to get up the Breast Cancer Awareness Cats up today.  This is something that is very important to me personally because of the way it has touched my own family.  When they were post-menopausal, breast cancer struck three generations of women in my family.  My great-grandmother died.  My grandmother had a radical mastectomy because it had spread to the lymph nodes.  I remember watching her putting on her prosthetic bras when I was a little girl.  She survived into her 70's and passed away quietly in my mother's house, probably of another stroke.

My mother, on the other hand, only had to have a lumpectomy and chemotherapy.  Okay, that's still hard.  But when you look at the progression, think about how far medicine has come!  But it's still not enough.  I mean, think about it.  Surgery and chemotherapy.  Stop and think about that again.  Surgery.  And then going through chemotherapy.  More research is needed.

But there is something that women can do to help themselves that wasn't available to my great-grandmother.  It's something I've been doing ever since my 13 year old son was weaned (I had him when I was 35).  I have a yearly mammogram.  I do a breast check once a month (or my husband does it!  ::grin::).  If something feels different, I go and see my doctor.

And so, because it is Breast Cancer Awareness Month; even though I wear my pink all year around, I'm putting up my Breast Cancer Awareness Cats.  I apologize for not having them up sooner.


No comments:

Post a Comment