Saturday, June 19, 2010

The Pool, the Camera, the Cats, & the Book

Since the weather has been warm enough to open the backyard pool (the house my husband bought has a 24' aboveground) I've been able to go out and exercise in it.  We-ell, once I was cleared to walk that far, get into water, the stairs had been put in... anyway.  First I get dressed for the pool, this includes putting on SPF 4000 sunscreen because I have very fair skin.  It doesn't tan, it burns.  If you look at me wrong, I burn.  Not, I'll admit, as much as when I was a teenager (my nearly eep! 17 yo daughter didn't reapply two days in a row and looked liked a boiled lobster ::shudder::) but still.  I take my towel, my hat, my reading glasses, my sunglasses, and my book.  I do my very best to remember to bring my camera.  In just a minute (unless of course, you have skipped this entirely and just scrolled down to look at the pictures... shame on you!) you'll see pictures of Da Boys taken out in the pool/patio area.

Now, the other day I was out there exercising.  Mind you, I am now the Bionic Woman.  Okay, not really this time since it's just two knees.  What I do is to put an inflatable round float over my head (I don't want to sit in it! I need to walk!) and then I can set my elbows on the sides and prop my book in the center of the third side.  Then I start walking.  First one way, then another way, then I change my style of walking... yada yada yada.  Normally, if I have the camera, I might be able to get a shot or two.  So what happened the other day?  Zaphy was inside laying on Dale's pillows and sleeping.  First, Thomas lept casually onto the top of the ramp.

"Hi mom!  Don't I look elegant?"  Hmmmm, yes you do Tom, now if you'll just stay there while mom gets her... POOHBEARS!!  No camera.  Whereupon Star and Mister Kitten lept up onto the ramp and proceeded to join Thomas in displaying the most wonderful (and aggrevating at the time) poses whilst I exercised, read my book, and did my very best to admire them without kicking myself.  Today, I had my camera, my hat, my phone, my book, and so on and so on... blah blah blah... but nary a cat was seen in sight.  We-ell.... .until I got back inside. 

 Thomas on deck!

"I told you!  I'm not going to blow up that inflatable!"

Thomas making an inspection on the deck.


I admit it.  I am a book addict.  Primarily SF/F... Honor Harrington series by David Weber has an interesting race called Treecats.  If you like SF... particularly hard SF with tech (this is C.S. Forester in space) with an amazing female protagonist... this series rocks & rolls!  And if you're a reader?  It doesn't hurt that there are ~20 books in the series.
[link is to my CafePress store section of the above graphic]

PS I'll post a Zaphy update sometime Sunday afternoon if at all possible.

6 comments:

  1. Thomas is a handsome pool boy!...We hope Zaphy is feeling better; we've still got our paws crossed for him...kisses x3 sweet friends...Calle, Halle, Sukki

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are wonderful pictures of Thomas. Our mom loved the story about you walking in the pool with book and everything else but the kitchen sink. That sounds like a job. Hope your kitty gets better.
    Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mom takes a squillion things out to the pool with her too! She's always kicking herself for not having the flashy box when she needs it!

    Sniffie and the Florida Furkids

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOL'ed at the stuff for the pool...it was the same for me at the old house! Hot tubs are easier...zip out after dark, stark nekkid, and pop in! Open beverage, and relax. Not much exercise, though!

    I just finished "The Passage" by Justin Cronin. Futuristic post bio-apocalyptic book. Probably one of the best books I have read, EVAR. And I read 3-4 books a week, at least. It's the first one of a trilogy...and I can't wait for the next one to come out. Check it out on Amazon...the author is a fantastic writer. I was THERE, in the story.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would absolutely adore having a hot tub!! I could exercise in it simply from having done so many isometric exercises on land and in the cold (brrrrrrr) pool as well! I'd even settle for an enclosed heated pool! ::grin::

    I'm about to do a Zaphy update!

    @Katnip Lounge - I would adore getting more books but this is my thing, I don't have the money to buy books and some of my friends have said "Go to the library!" The problem is that if I do that a) I forget to return them and b) I have to take them back and sure as anything, I want to read them when they're not around.

    Fortunately I have a fairly extensive home library from working at Davis-Kidd Booksellers (ooooh parade a discount in front of a book addict! LOL!) and birthday/Christmas gift certificates. But that's the kind of story I like. Have you read the Liaden Series by Lee & Miller? It's a very cat friendly series and they're still producing. You sink into them. If you want, email me... ::grin::

    ReplyDelete